Am I eligible for Personal Independence Payment?

This article takes about 2 minutes to read
Twitter social share iconFacebook social share iconLinkedIn social share icon

If you struggle to manage day-to-day activity because of an illness or a disability then you might be able to claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

What is Personal Independence Payment?

PIP is replacing the Disability Living Allowance for adults. You could get between £22.65 and £145.35 a week depending on how severely your life is affected by your illness or disability.

What things does PIP take into consideration?

PIP takes two things into consideration;

  • Mobility – this allowance will be paid if you struggle to get around
  • Daily Living – this allowance is paid if you need help with day-to-day activities

Am I eligible for PIP?

To be eligible to claim for PIP, you must be aged 16-64 and been experiencing difficulties for at least three months and expect to continue to experience any difficulties for at least another nine months.

PIP is not means-tested, so you can claim regardless of your income or savings.

How do I apply for PIP?

There's a few different ways you can claim for PIP, check out the website to see which one works best for you.

If you prefer, someone else can apply on your behalf but if they apply for you over the phone then make sure you're with them when they call.

What do I need to have handy when I'm applying?

Before you apply, you'll need to have a few things with you. You'll need;

  • National Insurance number
  • Date of birth
  • Bank account details
  • GP contact details

What does the claim process involve?

There's a few different ways you can claim for PIP, check out the website to see which one works best for you.

After you've applied, you'll receive a form called 'How your disability affects you'. Take your time filling out the form and give as much information as you can.

Return your completed form to the address specified on the form. Your form will be looked at and the Department of Work and Pensions who will try to work out how much help they believe you will need.

You may be asked to attend a medical assessment (this is usually a face-to-face consultation). Any assessment you are asked to undergo is designed to understand your needs and how your day-to-day life is affected by your condition. The DWP may also ask to speak to your health or social worker.

What is the Disability Living Allowance?

PIP is gradually replacing DLA. You'll carry on getting DLA if you were 65 or on 8 April 2013. For everyone else, DLA will stop and you'll need to move to PIP. This applies if you have a 'lifetime' of 'indefinite' award for DLA.

You won't automatically get moved to PIP and will receive a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions asking you to make a new claim.